Pages

4/26/11

Well fed for Easter

 

Many families serve lamb for Easter dinner, and, whenever possible, mine's no exception. For many years, I was afraid to make lamb because I had heard so many stories about "gaminess" in the meat. The first time I made it myself, I found that I love the distinct flavor of the lamb, when it's cooked medium rare and contains the right balance of garlic, wine and herbs. So this Easter, I made the simple and truly delicious stuffed leg of lamb roast recipe my mom gave me, and even our guests who claimed to "not like lamb" enjoyed every last bite. Here's how I did it:
  1. Trim fat from one 4-pound boneless leg of lamb and then lay it open in a roasting pan. 
  2. Pour dry white wine over roast and rub into the meat. 
  3. Finely slice 1-2 cloves fresh garlic and rub them over meat, pressing it in to the roast.
  4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  5. Scatter 3-4 mushrooms, diced, about 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary, a handful fresh parsley sprigs and about 2 tablespoons capers
  6. Squeeze juice from one lemon over all
  7. Tie the roast and drizzle with olive oil.
  8. Put the roast in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 25 minutes per pound, around 1 hour 40 minutes. Baste with wine (if desired). 
  9. Internal temperature of roast should be between 125 and 130 degrees for medium rare. Let rest about 15 minutes before carving.
  10. Scrape the pan drippings into a saucepan, add 2 tablespoons wine, a can of beef consume, and a sprig of rosemary. Bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken slightly. Serve with meat.
We served this beauty with mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and homemade baguette. Dessert was a traditional cheesecake. Everyone was satisfied and the festivities of Easter day culminated with full bellies and smiling faces...what more could anyone ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment