Pages

5/31/11

Progress in the garden

Well, the old place looks amazing, if I do say so myself. We spent the weekend mowing and weeding, repairing fence and prepping pastures to rotate the animals. We tilled the garden rows and planted the remaining beds with corn, tomatoes, celery, peppers, zucchini and cucumber. The nursery was out of pickling cukes, pumpkins, tomatillos and yellow squash or they would have gone in too.


The cool weather plants are already up: lettuces, kale, spinach, bok choy, radishes (of course), chard. And making a good stand are the broccoli, beans, beets, carrots, though I've had to plant the green beans 3 times because of frost. The potatoes are incorrigible...hopefully their voracity means they are actually producing spuds under all that dirt, not just green leaves.

I cooked a few bunches of kale the other night.  I'd never eaten kale, but I recall a nutritionist telling me once that although kale is often used for garnish in salad bars, it actually contains more nutrients than all the salad bar options combined. I stir fried it in butter with 2 cloves of pressed garlic, a dash of salt, and a pinch of sugar and served aside of medium rare elk steak and mashed potatoes. Holy smokes! It was good. It had an earthy, sweet flavor, and when cooked crisp tender, it lacked the velvety texture of spinach. I must admit that I'm a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment