Pages

4/20/11

One dish wonderful


Finding fabulous new ways to prepare ground meat is always a challenge, but finding one that takes less than 45 minutes to prep from start to finish and leaves just one pan and one mixing bowl for me to clean...well, that's priceless. I came across this recipe and it never ceases to please with its sweet, savory blend of flavors and textures. The kids love it & the hubby always dusts the leftovers before I have a chance to put them in the fridge.

 Spiced Beef Cornbread Cobbler 
Filling:
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground meat (I've used ground beef, turkey, antelope, elk...you get the picture)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can corn drained

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Pour oil into large oven proof skillet. Saute onions for about 2 minutes, then add garlic and meat and saute until meat is browned and onions are transparent. If there is more than 2 Tbsp of fat in the pan after browning the meat, pour it off. Then, add spices, tomatoes and corn & bring to a boil. Simmer about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the cornbread.

Cornbread topping:
I usually just use a box of the Jiffy brand cornbread mix, but if I'm out or feeling particularly motivated, I'll make my own. I do that by whisking together the following ingredients:
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup whole milk
1 large egg

Spoon cornbread over top of filling. Put the whole pan in the oven for 15-25 minutes or until cornbread is golden on top & toothpick inserted into center of it comes out clean. Top with grated cheddar cheese and serve with a crisp green salad or other green veggie to round it out.


If I could somehow post the aroma of this dish on my blog, everyone would jot down the recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment